Thursday, December 1, 2011

1999 Yamaha R-6 street fighter


This bike has been leaning up against the walll for almost a year now, collecting dust. I wanted to make a street fighter out of it, then I was going to part it out, then I was just going to use it for parts in the garage and upgrade an old bike with it's suspension. Yup, I don't know if I'm coming or going.

Now I'm back on Plan A: Street Fighter. I pulled the front end off, which wasn't the right one, and threw her back together with it's original front end so I could at least roll it out of the shop and clean whatever had collected underneath it. No money was found.

roller

After getting it rolling, I started to figure how I'm going to give it that aggresive streetfighter stance so I came up with an easy way that should work. Basically I'll start by notching the rear subframe at some angles to give a starting point.

mitered frame
start of new subrame

I'm really diggin' the stance it has at the moment and have started to figure out how the rest of the tail will be finished. With some more square tubing I'll give it more dimmension and aggresive lines and then the stock electrics and fender plastic whatever-it's-called will be cut down and re-installed, keeping it somewhat stock. The seat height will also remain the same so riding will be like it was as if it came out the factory, minus all the bodywork.

So far it's a rough idea of how the tail section is going to look and how it's going to open up the back tire and give that "ass in the air" look. I'll be drilling out some holes in the rear swingarm to make it look lighter.

stock rear subframe

No comments:

Post a Comment